This is my personal blog to help keep family and friends up to date with our projects. Feel free to follow along!

Sunday, September 20, 2009

our Sunday breakfast

We are slowly getting ourselves unpacked, and yesterday, the bulk of the books finally found their way to the bookshelves. The cookbooks were some of the first things to get boxed up when we put our house on the market over a year ago, so I've been without them for quite a while. Not that I use them much, but I've missed them.

One of my contacts on flickr, mainemomma, has shared some shots of the yummiest looking dish she calls a German pancake. I've wanted to try it myself for quite some time. I'm not sure how similar they really are, but my recipe (from Pampered Chef) is called and "apple oven pancake." The kids and I thought it was great, so I thought I'd share. My pictures turned out terribly, but you can see hers HERE or HERE. (Actually, she gives her recipe in the comments of the second pic - just fyi. A little too late for me!)

Preheat to 450'. Combine:
1 cup milk
6 eggs
2 T melted butter
1 tsp vanilla

Slowly add:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
(I added a little sugar too.)

Pour batter into a deep dish baking pan. (I used a round cake pan plus a small 6" spring form pan.) Bake 10 minutes. Reduce temp to 350' and bake an additional 15 minutes. The sides should be crisp and golden brown.

After the pancake is baked, you fill it with cinnamon apples. The recipe calls for two 12oz packages of escalloped apples, but I used a few pears cooked with some applesauce and cinnamon. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar or add some whipped cream.

The pancake poufs up huge, so don't be alarmed! And 6 eggs sounds like a lot, but split between 5 people (we still have the smaller one left to eat) it's not too bad. I think next time we are going to try a blueberry filling. Yum!

1 comment:

Kristin Zecchinelli said...

how funny! mine is similar but i bake my apples right on top of the pancake. no cinnamon. then sprinkle with powdered confectioners sugar and yum!