This is my personal blog to help keep family and friends up to date with our projects. Feel free to follow along!

Monday, December 15, 2008

oh boy, oh boy!

Last week we tried a new craft - cinnamon "gingerbread" boy ornaments! It was fun and easy and very inexpensive!

They look like the real thing, but should last for years! The twins would probably tell you they taste like the real thing too - they keep trying to eat them.

Here's the how-to:

1/2 cup cinnamon

1/3 cup applesauce

1 T tacky glue

Mix together, roll out (using cinnamon instead of flour to dust your surface), cut out (use a straw for the hanger hole), and put on a baking sheet. You can either let them air dry until hard (about 48 hrs) or put them in a low oven until hard (2 hrs at 200' or less.) We put ours in the oven and they seemed to warp a little, but I'm not sure if that's what caused it or not. Once they were hard and dry, I decorated them with some fabric paints and added ribbons for hangers.

They smell great hanging on the tree and make great gifts for teachers!

While we're on the subject of gingerbread boys, here's a sampling of the real thing! We made our first batch of Christmas cookies yesterday. Sarah did most of the decorating and I used a pre-made dough, which makes it so much easier!

2 comments:

thousand words photography said...

will you be my mom, or at least my boys mom...because they really are getting the short end of the mom stick! haha! you're fab!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of the ornaments. I may have to try this with the girls too! I think this could be a very neat project to do for the grandparents for christmas presents. Hmm you got my wheels turning!